Many people have turned to arts since the start of the lockdowns due to the Covid-19 pandemic. According to the Australia Council, 44% of the Australian population started to change their engagement habits with the arts since the lockdowns. The report also mentioned that more than four out of ten people participated creatively in the arts, particularly in visual arts like painting. It prompted them to buy canvas online to work on their creations.
For hundreds of years, painters have used canvas as their medium for presenting their masterpieces.It continues to actually be the material of choice by masters and beginners, especially for acrylic and oil painting. If you recently started your painting hobby, here are several helpful tips to let you find the best canvas for your artwork.
How to Determine a Great Canvas
There are several things to consider when picking the right canvas for your next art project. These factors can affect the condition of the canvas and the type of painting you want to do. It includes:
- Fabric – Most canvases are made with cotton or linen fabrics. Among these two options, linen is the best option because of its durability and surface quality. However, linen canvas can be more expensive. If you want to buy canvas online that is within your budget, you can get a cotton canvas with stable surface quality.
- Texture – Canvases get their distinct texture from the natural fibres woven together. Different textures work well for different kinds of painting. If you want to work on larger paintings or use broader brush strokes, you must get a canvas with rougher weaves. On the other hand, canvases with smoother, finer textures are best for smaller paintings with detailed work.
- With Prime or Without Prime – Some painters who aim to showcase the true colours of the paint they use get canvases primed with gesso, especially if they want to venture into acrylic painting. It prevents the paint from getting absorbed by the fabric. But if you want more texture to your painting, you must get an unprimed canvas.
What Kind of Canvas to Choose
There are different canvases available online that you can choose from, depending on your budget and application. The most common ones include:
- Stretched Canvas – These canvases are stretched over a set of wooden frames known as stretcher bars. It is usually made with cotton fabric and primed with gesso to produce the appropriate painting surface. It is perfect for both oil and acrylic painting.
- Canvas Panels – You can get canvas panels as an affordable substitute for stretched canvas if you have a limited budget. The primed cotton canvas is mounted into a rigid board to prepare it for painting. These canvases are best for practising, which makes them an ideal material for beginners.
- Canvas Rolls – For more experienced painters, canvas rolls can be a popular choice. The painter can stretch and prepare their canvas by themselves or if they need to produce larger paintings. These are often available online by the yard.
- Canvas Pads – These sheets of canvas are presented in book form. You can either stretch or mount these sheets when doing your work. It is ideal for students or beginners or if you want to practice new painting techniques.
Understanding your choices when buying a canvas can help you determine what you need for your painting hobby. It will let you get the right canvas to create your masterpiece at home to have something to do during the lockdowns.